Sunday, September 8, 2013

Writing/Literature - Grades 5-6

[Esther's Note: Hi all! I'm posting a couple of e-mails I've gotten about the classes, just to get more stuff posted so we can all begin to see how this blog might help us all out. Here's the info from Yami on the Grade 5/6 Writing & Literature class.]

Hello ladies and fellow students of this year’s 5/6 grades Literature/Writing class. My name is Yami Lasval and I will be your teacher along with Maria Kriesel.  

As you all know we will be using Write Source 2000 as our handbook and the following list of book titles, which we will be reading this year.  I have selected them in chronological order to coincide with your America the Beautiful History class in the hopes that you can more easily make timeline connections with one another. 
There will be comprehension questions for each of the books which will have to be emailed back to Mrs. Kriesel, at; mkriesel@optonline.net  each Friday by 3pm.  

I am looking forward to meeting each of you and I am ready to enjoy reading and writing along with you.

The Sing of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
Amos Fortune, Free Man by Elizabeth Yates
Bound of Oregon by Jean Van Leeuwen
All – Of – A – Kind Family by Sydney Taylor
Blue Willow by Doris Gates
Homer Price by Robert McCloskey
Witch of Blackbird by Elizabeth George Speare

Your first week’s assignments will be to
1)   Read “Using the Handbook” page iii
2)   Complete the scavenger hunt that I will be emailing you. (at the moment my     scanner is not cooperating)
3)   Read the first six chapters of The Sign of the Beaver.

If you cannot complete the reading assignment for the first co-op class, don’t worry too much about it, we will make adjustments as needed.

I am also attaching the comprehension questions for The Sign of the Beaver. [Esther's note: check your e-mail for this file, I haven't figured out yet how to post this...]

I am exited about this school year and I look forward to working with all of you!



2 comments:

  1. Yami, Should they write answers to the comprehension questions as they read this week, or will you cover that in class?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Esther....here we go! My first BLOG ever!!!

    If Nathaniel or Grace have been able to read the first chapters assigned, please have them answer the corresponding comprehension questions and will be going over some of them in class as well.

    ReplyDelete